title="Atom feed">Site Feed Blogstpot Site Feed

Mr. Mustache, another librarian blog

I am a reference librarian with experience in both the public and state government fields. I am doing this on a whim, sort of like the mustache I grew when I was 19 and still have in my 50's.

Name:
Location: HAMILTON SQUARE, NJ, United States

I was a state worker and a librarian.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Collards


Last spring in a spirit of jeu de la vie, I decided to help a woman I know plant a garden. We went to the local big box store and got 100 pounds of topsoil, several cartons of tomatoes and, on impulse, a sixpack of collards that cost ninety nine cents. It gave me a chance to talk about my Southern heritage and how my mother used to make collards. After an hour and a half and fifty mosquitoe bites, the job was done.

My friend admitted she had never tasted collards, her being of Yankee extraction, so this would be her chance to taste some good old collard greens.

Today she looks out at her garden. The tomatoes are puny and when a tomoato does sprout she has to rush off to capture it before the squirrels do. But there are rows upon rows of huge, bushy collards. She has tried the collards in salads, fried, steamed, and boiled. She has decided she doesn't care for collards.

Tomorrow she will wake up and turn to her garden. Those *^#%&* collards! And that darned Mr. Mustache. I should never let him plant those blasted things.


Here's a nice web site on collards.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A freind of mine planted some collards in my back yard. They remind me of the cowslips my grandmother used to love picking. They grew in wet areas usually near cattails. We would pick a huge amount, take them home to wash and then boil the heck out of them! Alot of effort and not realy all that tasty. Collards are like that. I wish my freind would pick the collards a little more often!

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home