title="Atom feed">Site Feed Blogstpot Site Feed

Mr. Mustache, another librarian blog

I am a reference librarian with experience in both the public and state government fields. I am doing this on a whim, sort of like the mustache I grew when I was 19 and still have in my 50's.

Name:
Location: HAMILTON SQUARE, NJ, United States

I was a state worker and a librarian.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Technology

Technology is a double-edged sword. For the new librarian it is a wonderful thing. When I started as a librarian I had many advantages over my colleagues. I knew who David Bowie was. I knew how to fix a paper jam in the Apple II computer. I had used an OPAC computer in my life.

Many a lunch was interrupted in those early days. "Oh please, Mr. Mustache I know you are at lunch but we have been trying to get that computer to work for twenty minutes. The patron has to have her report ready this afternoon and the computer ate everything!"

I would put my cape on and come up to a weeping patron and her report which the Apple II printer had shredded and not only that but she hadn't saved her file. I would fix the jam, even find an earlier copy of the file and than walk non chalantly back down to the break room to my cold cup of tea.

But now, I find it is hard to keep up. I have tried. I am writing a blog, but I have yet get the hang of how to put it in RSS. I know what
Flikr is and have even downloaded pods and blogs. I like browsing Flikr but sometimes I wonder how many library patrons want to look at librarians eating chicken and potato salad on paper plates. And are they that fascinated with story hours featuring other people's kids?

Now there is
Joomla! Suddenly I am struck with the realization that I may retire from the profession without ever having used it. I've looked at it but I can't quite figure out what it's supposed to do. And I used to be so complacent. I was the only person on the staff who had listened to the Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home