title="Atom feed">Site Feed Blogstpot Site Feed

Mr. Mustache, another librarian blog

I am a reference librarian with experience in both the public and state government fields. I am doing this on a whim, sort of like the mustache I grew when I was 19 and still have in my 50's.

Name:
Location: HAMILTON SQUARE, NJ, United States

I was a state worker and a librarian.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Masculine and feminine tastes


Men and women have different tastes. Men watch Die Hard movies and are lining up to see the Miami Vice movie. Women like the Devil Wears Prada and the Lake House. Men read Tom Clancy novels and women read "chick lit".

Recently I was debating what movie to see with a female I know. I wanted to see the Devil Wears Prada and she wanted to see Superman. We saw Superman in imax, 3-d glasses and all. Later I saw the Devil Wears Prada. I liked it better. I even thought the cinematography was better.

I like Sex and the City. I even watch the Gilmore Girls. I now know that if you wear a baseball hat backwards make sure it is a fitted cap or it looks really bad.

This problem can be traced to the fact that as a kid I watched television with my mother. I saw Arthur Godfrey every morning before I was whisked off to kindergarten. I watched Merv Griffin. Once my mother and I were walking in New York and they were giving out tickets to see the live show. It was a treat to see Authur Treacher give the pre show monologue.

The first adult book I ever read was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which I suppose would now be considered an example of early chick lit. One good thing is that I developed good verbal skills young in life. The bad thing was that I was nobody's early choice in picking teams for baseball games.

The greatest compliment that can be given to a boy is to say "he's all boy" when he's not supposed to be listening. To say a man is a "man's man" is a distinguishing thing to say about a fellow.

Of course now boys are
said to be in academic trouble. Boys who are "all boy" are falling behind academically to their female classmates. Our president is a "man's man" and we all know what kind of trouble that can lead to. Perhaps what we need is "chick lit for boys" programs in public libraries. And the boys could wear baseball hats backwards.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think that "chick lit for boys" programs would be possible in today's political climate, at least in the US.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home