title="Atom feed">Site Feed Blogstpot Site Feed

Mr. Mustache, another librarian blog

I am a reference librarian with experience in both the public and state government fields. I am doing this on a whim, sort of like the mustache I grew when I was 19 and still have in my 50's.

Name:
Location: HAMILTON SQUARE, NJ, United States

I was a state worker and a librarian.

Friday, July 07, 2006

The End of the furlough

It has been in the news all day. State employees will be back to work, hopefully on Monday. It has been thrilling being part of history. A news story that made its way to the BBC World Service and probably Radio Havana. Being part of history means that I will be the star at all of the holiday parties I'm invited to this year. I can see it now.

Relative: Well, Mr. Mustache. What was it like being furloughed?

Mr. Mustache: Well it was strange. It started with the floods when all the office buildings were closed. Then came the furlough. Yes I'd like a slice of cheesecake.

Relative: Were you paid for your furlough?

Mr. Mustache: Yes and Yes, I'll have some more coffee. Half and half will be fine.

Relative: What did you do all day?

Mr. Mustache: Well I never knew from day to day whether I'd be called back to work the next day so I couldn't make any big plans. It was like being retired. I'd go to the park. Go to the public library. Take the train to Philadelphia. Rent a video. Go out for a falafel (There are good ones at the Olive Delicatessen in Princeton on Witherspoon). The monotony was broken up by a trip to the
Kutzville German Fair (worth doing, at least once) going to two farmers markets and seeing fireworks.

Relative: What did you get out of the experience?

Mr. Mustache: I never knew how many courtroom shows were on daytime television. I've learned a lot about life and relationships from watching them.

Relative: Were you happy going back to work?

Mr. Mustache: I'll say. It gets expensive being home all day!

Incidentally, a Mr. Mustache feed is now on Bloglines if you would like to subscribe and punch up my numbers a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home