title="Atom feed">Site Feed Blogstpot Site Feed

Mr. Mustache, another librarian blog

I am a reference librarian with experience in both the public and state government fields. I am doing this on a whim, sort of like the mustache I grew when I was 19 and still have in my 50's.

Name:
Location: HAMILTON SQUARE, NJ, United States

I was a state worker and a librarian.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The secret all librarians share

Since the beginning of time, libraries have been putting their newspapers on poles. Why this practice has persisted I don’t know since the poles are difficult for patrons to handle and a pain for the clerk that has to assemble the product. Occasionally the professional staff is called upon to do this task.

The secret is to look at the last page of each section. If it is divisible by four, the section can be easily installed on the rod. If the section is not divisible by four the section will have an orphan. This is a newspaper sheet that is half sized and only contains two readable pages, the front and the back. It cannot slide over the pole, because it is too small. You should tape the orphan to the page behind it, so it fits in with the rest of the section in terms of pagination. Otherwise when the patron lifts the pole, this orphan will fall onto the floor.

2 Comments:

Blogger Librarian said...

I teach in a library school and am going to add this to the syllabus.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Mister Mustache said...

ah.thanks.

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home