title="Atom feed">Site Feed Blogstpot Site Feed

Mr. Mustache, another librarian blog

I am a reference librarian with experience in both the public and state government fields. I am doing this on a whim, sort of like the mustache I grew when I was 19 and still have in my 50's.

Name:
Location: HAMILTON SQUARE, NJ, United States

I was a state worker and a librarian.

Monday, June 05, 2006

The Job Market

Another link I use. If you like public radio, a nice way to download files of shows is available through Pubcaster, available through at WNYC http://www.wnyc.org/podcasting/ You can download shows as mp3 files to play on a computer as well as a pod. This is especially handy to locate NPR and BBC programs that are not available on your local public radio or only available at weird hours.

I was reading about the job prospects for librarians here,
http://community.livejournal.com/libraries/591575.html and here, http://www.librarian.net/stax/1706 and unfortunately, the job market for librarians is not as rosy as some of the news stories would lead one to beliveve. Apparently, in the fifties and sixties there was a real shortage of librarians, partly caused by the miserable salaries the field used to pay. It's been a tight field for years though, although children's librarians seem to be able to glide from job to job easier than most of us.

I had an English degree and couldn't find a job. Finally my mother's friend pulled some strings at the local library where she was a board member and they created a CETA position for me. I did everything from ILL to working on the Reference desk to pulling catalog cards from boxes that used to come from the Library of Science. I thought it would make a nice profession at the time and I got my MLS degree. After looking for a job in the northeast for six months I moved to Colorado and found an indexing job within a few days. When I got laid off I got a job working at the night crew of a title research company, where I stayed ten years.

Hearing there were librarian jobs opening up back east, I moved back to New Jersey where I lived with friends and got a part time job through the employment agency Gossage Regan. Then I finally landed a librarian job. My secret was that they couldn't find anyone to take the position because the salary was so low. So I always bragged that it took me eleven years to find my first librarian job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home