title="Atom feed">Site Feed Blogstpot Site Feed

Mr. Mustache, another librarian blog

I am a reference librarian with experience in both the public and state government fields. I am doing this on a whim, sort of like the mustache I grew when I was 19 and still have in my 50's.

Name:
Location: HAMILTON SQUARE, NJ, United States

I was a state worker and a librarian.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

the Zeitgeist of the Gilmore Girls

I was telling someone on the phone that I was looking forward to seeing that night's installment of the Gilmore Girls and she said "I can't believe you watch that thing."

Truth to be told I can think of no other vehicle in popular culture that better defines the zeitgeist of the modern American experience better than the Gilmore Girls. All of the conflicts in modern American society, young vs. old, working class vs. upper class, authority vs. Bohemianism, male vs. female, and certainly that of mothers vs. daughters can be examined within the borders of Stars Hollow.

In some sense the show can be described as a bildungsroman on both Rory and Lorelei's emotional and intellectual development. At the same time is serves as a gestalt for phenomenological experience as seen through the prism of small town in New England.

The show this season is moving in parallel evolution of two of its' main characters. As Lorelei is now about to have an affair with Rory's father it is inevitable that Luke will have a relationship with Anna by season's end.

So now here is the solution to the college Freshman's need to write a college essay that will be
guaranteed to bring in a high grade. College TA's are inevitably impressed by fancy German literary terms.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One "l"
Gilmore Girls.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, what a load!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Mister Mustache said...

Danke.

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you made up those words. However you phrase it though, watching the Gilmore Girls regularly is neither academic nor masculine. Come on Mr Mustache Get a grip!

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home